Twitter

Monday, October 10, 2011

Traveling and the Budget


Returning home from our trip to New York City yesterday I was both excited by everything that we'd experienced: great food, city views, and culture. Yet, I was also concerned that I'd maybe spent too much, or gotten too far off budget.

Today, although tired, I find myself doing laundry, dishes, and running the sweeper to catch up on the two days that it wasn't done. Almost caught up, I'm feeling the need to sit with my finances and 31 day checklist to be sure that I am back on track. Doesn't it seem that when you are having a lot of fun, traveling and shopping (even window shopping) that a well developed budget can fly out the window?

I spent $180. I had a marvelous time. We took many taxi rides, stayed at a hotel with a great view of the Empire State Building, had a dinner of homemade pasta with Sea Scallops and Shrimp.  We ate outdoors in the Chelsea District, shopped on 5th Avenue and atThrift Stores, saw a show and had breakfast in a NYC diner. It was great! I would do it again. In fact, We've signed up for Martha Stewart Show tickets for the Nov 2nd taping. Will will not stay overnight. I will spend  significantly less next trip. However, we are scheduling a trip out west to California, Arizona, and Nevada before Christmas to see some property that my husband inherited (which we've never seen)-this will require us to budget some extra spending money.

Our trip out west is already paid for with airline and hotel loyalty points. I feel good about that. How do you budget for travel and activities that you do during the year? Do you plan ahead? We love to travel and go out to eat, but it is not always economical to do so. Are there any pointers that you can share on traveling and eating out? Ideas on how not to break the budget?

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good time! And maybe check out Restaurant.com if you know where you want to eat and try finding a coupon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, I had a restaurant.com coupon for dinner. It was still $127 for the 4 of us. (Spend $100 get $50 off) So the original total was $177 including the 18%-we ate well though it was fantastic aged beef and sea scallops and shrimp. It averaged $45 a piece. I would eat there again it was that good. I think that the Spend $35 save $25 is the better deal don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had a fabulous time in NYC for just $180?! I'd say you did awesome! I just spent that on Tuperware alone this week! lol!! I don't travel, but if I did, i'd use points, coupons, etc.. like you do! Then save for the rest! :)

    ReplyDelete