Twitter

Thursday, August 25, 2011

From Plenty to Surplus



Live Your Life as a Miracle-
It’s easy to be positive when things are abundant and life is going your way. Smiles come easily and happiness is all around us. However, character is built in disappointment.  I believe that things aren’t always going to go as hoped.  What happens, what’s your reaction when they don’t? Anyone can be a pleasant person when there’s a surplus and plenty-but how do you handle when there’s a famine?
From Plenty to Surplus-
Many of us have been in a perceived famine.  If you're not in one now, chances are you’ve experienced what it’s felt like before. Well what if we lived for one month with the creativity and ingenuity it would take to live on less-even if we currently have plenty-in order to build a surplus? September is going to be that month for me. Beginning September 1st, I will attempt to live on just $105 a week. Using the envelope system, I will place $15 in seven individual envelopes. I will top off my gas for the month. My freezer is full. I will attend a produce auction this Friday. Then the month will begin. You can follow along here day by day as I progress through the four weeks.  My goal is $1,000.00 surplus.
I would like to be in the position to give back to others- volunteering time, talent AND treasure-Paying it forward. Share.
There is a short story at the end of my daughter’s speech that she is delivering today in San Francisco, CA :
A wise woman who was traveling in the mountains found a precious stone in a stream. The next day she met another traveler who was hungry, and the wise woman opened her bag to share her food. The hungry traveler saw the precious stone and asked the woman to give it to him. She did so without hesitation.

 The traveler left, rejoicing in his good fortune. He knew the stone was worth enough to give him security for a lifetime. But a few days later he came back to return the stone to the wise woman.

"I've been thinking," he said, "I know how valuable the stone is, but I give it back in the hope that you can give me something even more precious. Give me what you have within you that enabled you to give me the stone."
"The Wise Woman's Stone"
 Author Unknown

It’s that “something” that makes our ordinary lives extraordinary. Live your life as though every encounter is a miracle because it is…

2 comments:

  1. Loved the little story... Something we should all strive for! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Carla. Striving is where I'm at. I figure if we at least lean towards the generous spirit, we're moving in the right direction. Thanks for your post~

    ReplyDelete