Twitter

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Contentment



Photo by Tammy Bennett©
 
Contentment is not concerned with material things, but is rather a state of mind.  Rich or Poor satisfaction begets contentment.  Plenty equals abundance, which is happiness defined.” -Tammy Bennett
 My coffee was brewing in the house as I slipped on my muck boots and headed toward the chicken coop with anticipation of what I might find.  I reached into the pen and discovered that there were 5 eggs waiting for me.  Since I own 10 chickens I usually get 10 eggs a day. Should I be disappointed that half of my flock didn’t produce? Or be thrilled that 5 eggs would be more than enough for my daily needs. What would I even do with 10 eggs?  I have “plenty”.  There is no need for more. I am content, and it is a very peaceful place to be.
I used to get a large vanilla iced coffee from McDonalds on my way to, and from, work (totaling approx. $6.75 daily). It has crossed my mind that I might like to go through the drive through and get another, because I WANT one. So, this morning I went out on a limb and tried to make my own iced coffee at home. You’ll never believe it, but mine was better! AND I save nearly $7!  I used the leftover coffee from the morning, poured over ice, added a dash of vanilla, sugar and topped with half and half. Stir. Yummy! It really was. So I started to think about Chinese food, Pizza, Steak house baked potatoes, and Blizzards. Could I make these too? It just may be easier than you think. Recipes online abound, experimenting with food is fun! Get the family involved in selecting their favorite restaurant foods and then recreate it for pennies on the dollar-it is a fun challenge.
In four short days it will be September- a no spend month in our household. I’ve been baking and freezing in order to have a surplus of food- from the ingredients that I’ve purchased at a discount.  I was able to get an entire bin of broccoli- 65 heads for .35 cents each yesterday, that is a total of only $21. I now have enough broccoli until April, 2012. Having a surplus brings contentment. Broccoli soup, chicken and broccoli, quiche, broccoli and velveta, broccoli and dip, broccoli salad....
Life is an awesome adventure. We have been given plenty. It is a choice to be content.
"When you can think of yesterday without regret and tomorrow without fear, you are near contentment."- Unknown

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       



2 comments:

  1. Hi! I am a brand new follower of your blog, and I felt compelled to comment. I just read your post about 5 minutes ago, and you had me at "chickens". I soooo want to get some chickens! LOL
    As I read on, I had to laugh. You wrote about your vanilla iced coffee... I JUST finished a post on my blog about saving money by making your own Mocha Frappe'.
    I look forward to reading more of your posts. And good luck with your September project!
    (Oh, and nice score on the broccoli!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my Chickens:) You should most definately get some :) i'm reading and following your blog too! My September project begins tomorrow-hoping to save $1,000 this month. Only $105 for the week starting tomorrow. $15 a day. Ready to give it a whirl! Hope you enjoy my adventures posted through the month. Feel free to share the page on your blog, twitter and personal FB. Blessings~

    ReplyDelete